Monday, October 11, 2010

~Lucious~ (Chapter 6)

WE made it, we made it. we are alive. we are alive.
That kept going through my head as I put my arms around my sister. She was shivering. We made it with plenty of time, I guess its just the thought of being down here for fifty years that frightens her. WE took a seat where the guard told us to sit for our room assignments. Since we were still kids we had to have dorms instead of homes, and we still had to go to school everyday. We still needed to get jobs to pay for house bills and such. We still needed money for food, water, electricity, all of that good stuff. It was all basically the same, except we were underground. No fresh air. And all of the drop-elevators jolted back to the surface with a time lock. No way out for fifty years, well that is, unless you were the head honcho of the place. They call him the governor, but he does more than any governor would do. He is the lookout. Keeping us posted on how things are looking on the outside.

How do I know this you may ask? Dad was supposed to be that guy. He said there were these suits that helped you go outside and not get poisoned, and there was this stairwell that went all the way up two hundred feet, of course there was an elevator too...but this elevator came and left as you pleased. But there is one thing that always confused me. Right after the car accident just before dad died he said "Take care of your sister, and...and take the stairwell on the right." I have no idea what he meant by that. The nurses and the doctor just said it was the pain killer talking. But the sincerity in his voice. Just then my cellphone rang. The one dad gave me. I looked at the number. It was mom.

My mind went back.
"I'm leaving!" she shouted at dad five years ago. "Take good care of Luc and Marg." I wondered how the woman that gave birth to us could hate us so much. She stormed out of that door and I watched as her car drove away. I don't know why she left. She just did. But If she didn't care, why were there so many tears in her eyes? I answered the phone.

"H...Hello?"
"Luc? Oh thank you God!" I heard her half sob half laugh on the other end.
"What is it mom?" How was I talking so normally to the woman who had up and left her and her children?
"Your not underground! You are free!" What was she talking about?
"What? I'm sitting right here on the bench!"
A guard looked at me from the other side of the holding room. He started walking this way.
"You need to get out of there. Luc! Take Marg and get out of there!"
"What? what do you mean? What are you saying?" A pair of kids and their dog sat next to me.
"Luc! Listen to me. They are going to kill everyone down there. Its part of the experiment! They are trying to start over! Make the Earth better." I fell silent. "LUC! GET OUT OF THERE!"
"HEY, YOU!" It was the guard. He was running. Well as fast as he could with so many people blocking his way.
"Marg! Lets get out of here!"
She looked at me like I was crazy, but she obeyed and jumped up.
"Come on! Hurry!" I looked over at the children sitting next to us. They seemed frightened, I think they heard me. "You guys should come too. i dont know you, but trust me." I held out my hand toward the girl sitting there. The guard was pushing past the crowd. "Please come."
The guard was closing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment